Looking for inspirational quotes about moving abroad and living overseas? We created a list featuring the best moving abroad quotes so that you can remember what it’s like to move to a new country or simply get more travel inspiration.
Whether you’re creating a travel video, searching for inspiring captions about going abroad, or simply looking for ideas – you’re in the right place.
How To Use And Display Quotes About Life Abroad
Moving abroad quotes can be used and displayed everywhere. Here are some examples of ways you can use them:
- Instagram or image caption
- Video caption
- Home decoration
- Mobile background
Many expats and travelers love to display inspiring quotes in frames, doormats, pillows or blankets. That said, you can find plenty of inspiring ideas on websites like Etsy.
Best Quotes About Moving Abroad
Want to connect with fellow long-term travelers? Join our exclusive Facebook group and take part in the conversation.
PSSST. Your travel medical insurance can now cover COVID-19! If you grab SafetyWing‘s Nomad Insurance, it’ll be covered just like other illnesses. I’ve been using it since 2019 and I can assure you it’s the perfect solution for nomads like you and me.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the most inspiring and beautiful moving abroad quotes.
- And suddenly you just know… it’s time to start something new and trust in the magic of new beginnings. – Meister Ekhart
- Travel early and travel often. Live abroad, if you can. Understand cultures other than your own. As your understanding of other cultures increases, your understanding of yourself and your own culture will increase exponentially. – Tom Freston
- You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That’s the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place. – Miriam Adeney
- It’s impossible said pride. It’s risky said experience. It’s pointless said reason. Give it a try whispered the heart. – Unknown
- The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. – Christopher McCandless
- Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from. – Seth Godin
- I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses. – Bill Bryson
- Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time. – Hannah Arendt
- Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. – Steve Jobs
- Our homes are not defined by geography or one particular location, but by memories, events, people, and places that span the globe. – Marilyn Gardner
- Ordinary life does not interest me. – Anais Nin
- Splendid to arrive alone in a foreign country and feel the assault of difference. Here they are all along, busy with living; they don’t talk or look like me. The rhythm of their day is entirely different; I am foreign. – Frances Mayes
- The ideal place for me is the one in which it is most natural to live as a foreigner.- Italo Calvin
- The loneliness of the expatriate is of an odd and complicated kind, for it is inseparable from the feeling of being free, of having escaped. – Adam Gopnik
- Giving up on the drive to succeed is a good part of what being an expat is all about. If you travel all the way to the Caribbean Sea, you probably have already decided to trade the dog-eat-dog competition of modern living for a hammock on the sand. – Anthony Lee Head
- The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. – Lao Tzu
- What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies. – Jack Kerouac
- Now more than ever do I realize that I will never be content with a sedentary life, that I will always be haunted by thoughts of a sun-drenched elsewhere. – Isabelle Eberhardt
- Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground. – Judith Thurman
- If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home. – James A. Michener
- Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone. – Wendell Berr
- I saw in their eyes something I was to see over and over in every part of the nation- a burning desire to go, to move, to get under way, anyplace, away from any Here. They spoke quietly of how they wanted to go someday, to move about, free and unanchored, not toward something but away from something. I saw this look and heard this yearning everywhere in every state I visited. Nearly every American hungers to move. – John Steinbeck
- If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food, it’s a plus for everybody. Open your mind, get up off the couch, move. – Anthony Bourdain
- The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown. – Paul Theroux
- Every hundred feet the world changes – Roberto Bolaño
- Only it seems to me that once in your life before you die you ought to see a country where they don’t talk in English and don’t even want to. – Thornton Wilder
- The value of your travels does not hinge on how many stamps you have in your passport when you get home – and the slow nuanced experience of a single country is always better than the hurried, superficial experience of forty countries. – Rolf Potts
- It’s in those quiet little towns, at the edge of the world, that you will find the salt of the earth people who make you feel right at home. – Aaron Lauritsen
- It’s funny. When you leave your home and wander really far, you always think, ‘I want to go home.’ But then you come home, and of course it’s not the same. You can’t live with it, you can’t live away from it. And it seems like from then on there’s always this yearning for some place that doesn’t exist. I felt that. Still do. I’m never completely at home anywhere. – Danzy Senna
- Leave home, leave the country, leave the familiar. Only then can routine experience—buying bread, eating vegetables, even saying hello—become new all over again. – Anthony Doerr
Final Thoughts On Quotes About Moving And Living Abroad
We hope our list of beautiful quotes about living in another country triggers your need for adventures and new beginnings.
Not exactly what you were looking for? Take a look at our list of Instagram captions for travelers.