By Mayo Clinic Staff
To save time, cut up the vegetables in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to roast them.
Number of servings
- High Fiber
- Healthy carb
- 1 small yellow zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coarse polenta (corn grits)
- 2 teaspoons trans-free margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced
- 6 dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water to rehydrate, drained and chopped
- 10 ripe olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
Heat the broiler (grill). Position the rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
Brush the zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and red pepper with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange in single layer on a baking sheet and broil under low heat. Turn as needed and brush occasionally with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill or broil, turning as needed, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Coat an ovenproof 12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly whisk in polenta. Continue to stir and cook for about 5 minutes. When polenta comes away from side of pan, stir in margarine and black pepper. Remove from heat.
Spread polenta in the baking dish. Brush with remaining olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
Drain spinach and press between paper towels. Top polenta with spinach. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Top with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with oregano.
Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. When warmed through, remove from the oven. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 1 wedge
- Calories 269
- Total fat 9 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Trans fat Trace
- Monounsaturated fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 152 mg
- Total carbohydrate 41 g
- Dietary fiber 8 g
- Total sugars 7 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Protein 7 g
- Vegetables 2
- Carbohydrates 2
- Fats 2
- Starches 2
- Nonstarchy vegetables 2
- Fats 2
- Grains and grain products 2
- Vegetables 2
- Fats and oils 2
May 19, 2021